If you’re not getting hired on Thumbtack, chances are an incomplete profile is to blame. Here’s what you might be missing, according to Thumbtack customers and pros. Don’t let a bad headshot or a lack of portfolio photos block you from getting hired.
Reason 1: You’re Not Asking for Reviews
There’s a reason that pros with five or more reviews are five times more likely to be hired on Thumbtack. Reviews give customers a picture of what you do and how you work—one they can trust.
Thumbtack makes it easy to ask for a review by automatically sending an email to customers when you mark yourself hired.
Here’s how one pro follows up to ask for a review:
It’s me again, hope you’re great as ever! I know you’re busy, but could you write me a quick review at this link: [custom review link]? It only has to be a sentence or two, and I know my new clients will love hearing your story.
Thanks so much!
Just getting started? Here’s how to ask past customers to review you on Thumbtack.
Reason 2: You’re Not Using a Headshot
Pros with strong headshots are significantly more likely to be hired on Thumbtack. Here’s how to do it right, from Thumbtack photographer Tri Nguyen.
- Be Friendly: Smile! Customers want to see a friendly, welcoming face.
- Pick a Bright Background: Dark, heavy backgrounds detract from the professionalism of your photo. Pick something light and polished.
- Dress Crisp and Clean: Dress for what you do—but make sure you look clean and fresh. Professionalism is key to a good headshot.
Take a great headshot with these basic tips from a pro photographer.
Reason 3: You’re Not Showing Off Your Work (Or You’re Showing Off the Wrong Stuff)
Your photos and videos should tell a story about your work—one that your target customers want to hear. If you get lots of questions about whether or not you offer specific services, you might give an example of that service on your profile.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when uploading photos:
- Is your photo/video high quality?
- Is your photo/video up to date?
- If the photo/video isn’t of you, do you have permission to use it?
- Is this photo/video an example of your best work?
That doesn’t mean you should upload something from every job, explains multimedia artist Albert Benichou. “On Thumbtack, only include the best of the best.”
For more profile tips, check out the Secrets of Top Pro Marketers on Thumbtack.